Saturday, July 28, 2012

World Changers

This week Josh and I were in Sugar Hill, GA with our youth group serving that community. Before I go into the details of the trip, let me rewind a few months.

At the beginning of the year, J and I decided we wanted one of our vacations this year to be a mission trip. Soon after we learned about a trip through our church to Romania. It sounded perfect. We mentally committed that we were going. we had even started fund raising by selling Josh's woodwork. However, things just weren't settling right and we emotionally didn't feel right about it. Therefore, we made the official decision to turn down the trip. Two days later my youth minister presented me with the chance to go on the student trip. I accepted and felt that was why we weren't going to Romania. That was back in March or April. Three weeks ago J got a call that one of the male sponsors had to back out and they wanted him to go. It was made even more clear that Romania wasn't right.

Jump to the present day. We are currently on day two of our long drive home. This week we joined our 43 students and sponsors with over 200 from other states to paint houses, fix roofs, build wheelchair ramps and decks, and proclaim the love of Jesus Christ. We got to meet some incredible people both on our work crews and in the community. Also, josh and I were able to develop more intimate relationships with the students and sponsors in our group.

We are BEYOND exhausted and overly excited to sleep in our own bed tonight, but it was an amazing week we will never forget. I pray the community is changed from God's presence there this week and our students keep this week in their hearts as they return to their normal lives.


(We also did a lot of picture and video challenges in the vans too and from Georgia).


No comments: