It all started when Samantha was three months old. She had an elephant rattle that she would hold onto for hours. It was the first thing that consistently made her laugh. At that point, I had my theme for her first birthday. Elephants it was! Therefore, I put my party-planner hat on and, with the help of Pinterest, spent many hours the last couple of months preparing every detail of this glorious event that would be my first baby's first birthday.
The invitations were made:
A sweet mom of one of my youth girls made her a precious onesie and I made the accessories to complete her outfit:
On her actual birthday she was serenaded by her Daddy, had a birthday muffin, went to the grocery store, had lunch at Cafe Java with Mommy, Daddy, Nana, and Pops, had a spontaneous bluebonnet photo shoot, went on a walk, had dinner at Chuy's and then went to bed a happy one-year-old.
Then it was time to wake up and get into party mode! The final decorations and food preparations were made:
 |
| Instead of using a chalk board, I used a foam poster board. |
 |
| I made a photo timeline of her pictures from each month and checked out elephant books from the library for the mantel. This is the toy chest her Daddy built her for all her millions of toys. |
 |
| We had a Pin the Tail on the Elephant game. |
 |
| This door hanger, the banners, cupcake toppers, food labels, etc. were all made on the Cricut Josh bought me for Christmas. It was so much fun making all the little details! |
 |
| The spread! |
 |
| Chips, peanuts, milk, veggies, "Elephant Cookies" (Nutter Butters), cupcakes, smash cake, "Elephant Ears" (turkey and cheese pastries). |
 |
| More cupcakes, pb&j sandwiches, and fruit. |
 |
| The VERY POORLY made smash cake for Samantha. Even with icing, I just couldn't make it pretty. She wanted nothing to do with it anyway! |
 |
| The gift bags. |
 |
| The contents of the gift bags. |
We took a few pre-party photos with Samantha and her family:





Finally, people started to arrive and it was party time! Luckily, after praying all week against the rain in the forecast, we ended up being blessed with beautiful weather so kids could play outside and we could just leave the doors open.
One of the first events of the party was also one of the most terrifying events of my life when Samantha choked on a small piece of grape. I thought it was small enough for her, but obvioulsy I was wrong! No mother should have to know what the anatomy of the inside of her child's throat FEELS like from sticking her finger in so deep to dig out the object blocking the airway. TERRIFYING! She then proceeded to throw up a bit and scream for a while. It was traumatic for both of us! Needless to say, I'm still saying prayers of thanksgiving a day later. (I also didn't sleep wonderfully last night because I was still picturing it running through my mind over and over. Motherhood is NOT for wimps!)
 |
| Right after the worst moment in parenting! |
After some comfort nursing and getting my happy party girl back, it was present time!







Next came the cake! Just like at every other first birthday party I've attended, Samantha wanted NOTHING to do with her cake. Josh forced her to put her hand in it in hopes that it would get her started, and that only made her cry. She did eat a few bites off a fork. She was quite the diva ; )
 |
| She loved the elephant on top of the cake, but not the actual cake. Also note that she had a cute bib that matched her onesie : ) |
 |
| This was the closest she got to eating it. |
 |
| She did NOT like the pressure! |
 |
| But it was acceptable for Mommy to feed her. As I said... diva! |
After cake time, we spent time just being social and enjoying friends before the party ended and the birthday girl went down for a much-deserved nap.
 |
| Milk does a body good! |
 |
| It won't be long until his birthday! |
 |
| Two of Samantha's cousins playing |
 |
| Nana snuggles! |
 |
| Cousins! |
 |
| Smith men minus one |
 |
| I want HER cake Mom!! (Jollyville friends) |
 |
| Seriously Mom! I really want to eat hers! |
 |
| Post-cake nudity : ) |
It was a wonderful day! This Ponder trio is blessed beyond measure or what we deserve! And now I have a year to start planning birthday numero dos ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment