Friday, August 6, 2010

Arlington

This past weekend was like a mini-vacation for Josh and me. On Friday evening we drove up to Arlington after Josh got off work. The main reason for the trip was my good friend Matt's wedding on Sunday. However, we made a full weekend out of it. For those that don't know, a good part of my life was spent in Arlington and I still have a lot of family there. Josh's dad lives there, too. We stayed with him for the weekend. We also had the chance to spend a few hours on Saturday with my grandparents and my aunt. It's always great to see them. The older I get, the less I tend to see them, especially now that I'm married. A good part of the weekend was spent driving around Arlington. It was fun to see some familiar places I hadn't seen in TEN years. (I didn't realize it had been a decade since that phase of my life passed. It still seems so vivid and I count those days as some of my best). The boys, Josh and Lee, spent a lot of time playing their guitars together, learning and re-learning some songs. It was so great to watch Josh play. I always love it, and I see it so rarely now that we are "big adults" with hectic schedules and other responsibilities.

As I mentioned, the true purpose of the weekend trip was Matt and Shannon's wedding. It was such a blessing to be there on that day and witness such a beautiful union. Their ceremony was very inspiring about how things only work together for good in God's timing, no matter how hard we try to interfere and tweak things ourselves. Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures from the wedding...

Perhaps the best part of the weekend was spending true, quality time with the other love of my life, Heather. I got to spend nearly a full day with her. I also spent a full day with her the previous weekend and I get to see her some today. She's spoiling me just in time to leave me. But she's leaving to pursue all of her life dreams, so I can't fault her on that one!

Since the wedding was on Sunday, we decided to play hookie from work Monday and make a full day of the drive back. We stopped in Waco for a while to visit some of our old haunts. We had pancakes at Cafe Cappucino. (I wish you could see these pancakes.... they are as large as the plates! I took pictures on my phone but I can't figure out how to get them on here!) We also went to Cameron Park to hike a bit like we used to do regularly. Obviously, since we were there, we had to visit the spot where Josh proposed. It's so encouraging to see how God has worked in our life since that glorious day.
This weekend is pretty booked solid as well. As I mentioned, I get to spend a bit of time with Heather today. Tomorrow Josh and I are going to find a park somewhere in the Austin area with good hiking trails and take Lilly out for a while. Being in Cameron Park made us realize how much we miss just being out in nature! Sunday afternoon I have a get-together with some work friends. It will be one of the last times I'll get to spend with my friend DeeDee before she moves back home to the valley for a while. (Why is everyone moving away?) Then we are having dinner with church folks. It should be a nice, busy, yet relaxing weekend! I hope yours is, as well!

1 comment:

Miss Willow said...

Oh...lady. You do have a knack for making me cry ;) I have loved getting spoiled seeing you three weekends in a row. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do without having you just a few hours away... Praise the Lord for technology and Christmas break and summer break... I love you, my darling, darling friend. See you soon!!!