Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

There have been so many changes going on around this house over the last month.  Hence the lack of posts.  I realize I didn't even post Samantha's 14 month post, and we are almost to 15 months!

It all started over Memorial Day weekend.  Technically I guess it really goes back to January or so.  I started getting that itch... the moving itch.  Things at Josh's job were changing a lot and we were very unsure about his future.  So moving just wasn't appropriate at that time.  That said, I still have always liked looking online at houses.  I look at homes for myself, homes for my super-rich self, homes for my parents, etc.  I just like looking at houses and dreaming!  Over Memorial Day weekend, (yes I'm back to my starting point, sorry for the detour), I found a house online that I really liked.  I emailed a realtor friend of ours and asked him to let us see the house.  We sat down Tuesday and had the talk about what it would be like working with him and in the current market.  We explained that we were content where we are, but with baby #2 coming, it would be nice to have a bit more space.  If we didn't find the dream home, though, we didn't want to move.  This sent us on a whirlwind journey over the next week.  We spent that week looking at just about all of the houses in Round Rock in our price range.  Ultimately, we were still in love with a home we looked at the first night (down the street from the one I found online).  That Saturday we were under contract on our dream home!

Then it was time to get our house on the market.  We worked hard and got it on the market that Wednesday.  [Side note: having your house on the market with a toddler who is used to naps and a dog in the dead heat of summer is NOT the ideal situation!]  Friday night we had four offers on the table and were under contract Saturday morning!  Whew things were flying!  It was the ideal contract that let us close before our new home for the financing to work out, but stay living in our current home until after closing on our new home.  We spent the next week taking a break from the moving debacle (we had six weeks until we had to move, so a break was acceptable and needed).  Then that Saturday evening, (a week later), everything briefly fell apart. The couple decided to terminate the contract.  We were in a hurry to sell even before this happened, but now another week had passed and we were even more desperate!  Praise the Lord that we had four offers originally and our realtor is a rock star.  He got us back under contract within 24 hours with another couple for 10k over asking price!!  The downside... we had to be out in only two weeks!  There went my six week window!  This also requires us to be homeless for two weeks between the two closing dates...
One of our many park dates during showings.  There are only so many places I could take Lilly.
She was a great packing helper : )
Or perhaps she actually slowed me down quite a bit.  One of the two... ; )
Therefore, this past week we called every moving company around, only to find that most were already booked or couldn't store our stuff during the two weeks.  We finally found a company, got cleaning companies booked (something the buyers required), and have been transferring all of our utilities.  It has seriously just been chaos!  Two weeks (technically 12 days) is NOT enough time to move!  I don't recommend it.  So this is our last week in this house.  I'm excited about the new house, but I'm also a little sad to leave this one.  I haven't really had the time to feel sentimental, and maybe that's the good thing.  I think it will hit when we leave for the last time.  This is the home where we built our marriage.  We brought home Samantha here.  She learned to crawl and walk (yes she's finally walking!!!) and laugh here.  We've had many events with friends and our youth students here.  I spent my childhood moving.  Frankly I've been in this home longer than most of my others.  But with this move, it's the first time that this is MY home to leave.

And now begins our new journey.  Samantha and I will go live in Boerne for two weeks with my parents while Josh lives with friends here.  Then on the 14th, we get to move into our new home.  That same week we find out if this next baby is going to be blue or pink!  I'll post pictures of the new home once we are in and settled.  Here we go...

Just something to leave you with.  This was at 14 weeks (two weeks ago).


1 comment:

Laura said...

Elaine, I'm so excited for you guys! I'm sure you're exhausted, but what fun! I can't wait to see pics of the new house. :) Prayers for rest and sanity in the weeks to come!