Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Life with a Newborn

Here we are almost 4 weeks into Samantha's life and there is so much to update. Life sure has done a complete 180!

When we first came home, my mom was here for a week and it was such a blessing. It was great having an extra set of hands to hold her, someone to help with cleaning and cooking, and the moral support for this new mom who was also dealing with postpartum hormones. We had a lot of breastfeeding issues in the beginning, (which I will respectfully not share here). That was probably the biggest hurdle we've faced thus far.

The first weekend, Brad and his family came to meet Samantha. Many friends from church have also come to meet her (and bless us with meals). Recently, aunt Melody also came for a night to meet and love on her. She's been blessed with such great people in her life!

The biggest struggle we've been facing recently is sleeping... The girl just refuses to sleep!! When we first put her down at night, she will sleep for a 3-4 hour stretch. But the rest of the night and during the day, she only catnaps for an hour at most, but typically more like 20-40 minutes. I have read EVERYTHING there is out there on sleep training. I tried doing so much of it last week since it was my first week alone with her and I couldn't get off the couch all day. However, this week I've given in to the fact that she's not even a month old yet and I have to just chill out. I think all the research just made me a crazy momma! In time, we can start some real sleep training, but not until she's old enough to understand it. She's also been suffering from acid reflux. After a bit of protest on my part, we finally put her on medicine yesterday. Hopefully if she's feeling less pain, she might sleep longer and better. And as they say... Sleep begets sleep.

It's been a fun, exhausting, hilarious, stressful, and wonderful three and a half weeks. I will update again with all of her one-month stats.


















No comments: