Something I have really enjoyed over the past few weeks is having people get to know me as Elaine Ponder. Up until 4 months ago, that wasn't who I was. To everyone, I was Elaine Smith, and will probably be considered as such, by some, for many more years, or even forever. I understand when people slip up and refer to me by my maiden name. After all, the force of habit brings it to the tip of my tongue on occasion when I go to introduce myself. But in my new world, no one knew me by my maiden name. I think it is fun having people know me under my new identity. It makes the transition a bit easier for me, as well. I'm not sure I can really describe the feeling behind it adequately, but I guess it just helps to reassure and embrace the new me.
I remember Lindsay telling me the same thing once upon a time. She kept telling me just to wait until it happened to me. I find this slightly ironic, too, since I am one of the people in her world who only identifies her by her married name.
Also, in my job I have to sign forms and documents about 20 times a day. It wasn't until this new job that I finally nailed down my new signature. I didn't have to sign things very often, thus, when I did, either my hand's motor memory would just begin to sign what it was used to, or I would try (and fail) to make my new name look natural. Now I have that totally down.
These might seem like silly little things to most, but, to me, it is all a fun part of growing into my new self as Josh's wife, both in name and in role. I truly love my husband!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment