Tuesday, May 24, 2016

3 yrs(+)/almost 18 mos

I intended to write a long-winded post about my new three-year-old for her birthday.  Clearly I've been too busy BEING a mom to WRITE about being one.  (That and a fair amount of laziness too I'm sure).

So instead of this being a monthly update, this is just a "here is where we are now" update.

S:
-She is DEFINITELY a three-nager.  She has the attitude and arguing skills of a middle schooler.  Sometimes I have to stop myself from laughing or from being completely impressed by her manipulation skills. Other times, I have to stop myself from selling her to the circus though! (Keeping it real).  Some parts of this are really wonderful to watch because she's growing in her independence.  She wants to go potty by herself with the door closed, play in her room alone, pick out and put on her own clothes, get her own water and snacks, and so much more.  I just look at her sometimes and wonder how on earth she got so big!
-Her knowledge base continues to amaze me.  She will talk about subjects that seem very advanced, throw out vocabulary of a 10-year-old, count to 20, identify the beginning letters in words, and basically just be a genius most days!
-She says the funniest things!  The older she gets and the more her vocabulary improves, the funnier she gets too.  Sometimes I just laugh because she still says some things in the cutest ways.  One of my favorites is when she talks about someone coming to "babysitter" her.  I should be better at writing these things down, because I'm currently drawing a blank... grr... Mom fail!
-She is becoming a very sensitive child. Some parts of this can be hard because she gets her feelings hurt pretty easily.  She doesn't like if someone doesn't want to play with her.  She also reacts very strongly to falls, bumps, etc. Her little sister is a physical terror and loves to sneak-attack her.  Samantha doesn't appreciate this at all!  However, the sensitive side of her is also one of my favorite parts of her.  She is extremely loving!  She wants to cuddle regularly and thrives off of physical touch.  This is actually ironic because she wasn't a snuggly baby.  This sensitive side also makes her a wonderful friend.  She cares so well for her friends and her sister to the point that she feels their hurts.  I'm not an overly-sensitive person, so she teaches me how to be more sympathetic!
-We are currently in the midst of another sleep battle.  She likes to have these every 6 months or so.  This one is extra complicated due to the fact that she learned to climb out of her crib and now she's in a toddler bed.  Having a child who can escape in the middle of the night is a whole new ballgame around here!  (Ballgame... nightmare... one of those!)

K:
-Just like big sister, I'm always wondering how she gets so big!  But on the flip side, she's so dang tiny that I marvel at her petite frame regularly as well.
-She's gaining independence also.  She always wants to clean up her dirty diapers by herself, open doors, feed herself with utensils, and try to do everything big sister does!  That's also why she regularly faces the brink of death.  She's a bit too fearless.
-I just noted that at my last posting, she wasn't even walking fully.  Now she's running and "jumping."
-She has about 50 words and is already using some two-word phrases.  She can label and ID many body parts, give hugs, blow kisses, and POOP IN THE POTTY!  She tells me every time before she goes.  Sometimes she is willing to then go in the potty, other times, she gets on the potty and immediately wants back down to go in her diaper.  But she is definitely trying to start potty training.  What 17-month-old does that?!?! (Momma ain't havin' it!)
-She is becoming a bit OCD, especially with the organization of things.  Things have to be in their place and she will put them back where they go. (She's the only one in the house who helps me with this!!)  When she gets out of bed, all of her pacis have to be lined up together before she will get out.  It's the same with putting her pacis in her cupholder of her carseat and with other toys of hers.  It cracks me up!
-Stats:
Weight- 19lbs 8oz (13%)
Height- 32in (53%)

Everything is ending for the year right now.  Mops and bible study finished at the beginning of the month and Samantha has her last day of school Thursday.  Then it will be truly summer time!  Pool fun, dance classes, bug spray, popsicles, trips, and so many other adventures await us.  We made our summer bucket list for the year.  Hopefully we will be able to complete it all!

And now... photos from the last few months...
Park fun with friends
Easter
Easter
Easter
Easter
Easter
Easter
Easter

Easter
Chuck E Cheese w/ Nana & Pops
My climber- she climbs EVERYTHING!
Now she wants to walk everywhere instead of ride.  On walks, in stores, etc.

Big girl bed!

We visit the ducks and turtles regularly

Houston trip to see cousins

G and K

If we had 5 kids...

Splash pad fun!

Muffins with Mom on Mother's Day

Cutest firegirl!

More splashpad fun with friends!

My baby isn't a baby anymore!

Movie date! Kung Fu Panda 3

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love that my kids made the slide show! That one picture of Samantha in the chair made her look so old. I can see her as a 5 year old and I just want to stop time with our littles always being little.