Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How to remember the "Lasts?"

There was a night last week when I was sitting in bed with Josh and he stretched while making a "Samantha stretch" face.  We tend to imitate this adorable face often when we stretch.  It was one of our favorite faces she made when she was a newbie.  [This photo sort of shows it].
While laughing at my husband's mockery of our sweet girl, it hit me that she no longer made this face and I couldn't remember when she stopped making it.

That's when I started thinking about how many other things she no longer does.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice when she stopped doing these things.  Certain "lasts" I remember with no issue.  I remember the last night she slept in our room.  I remember the last time I gave her reflux medicine.  I remember the last bath we did in the sink.  But sadly, at some point there were obviously a lot of "lasts" that I can't remember.  There was obviously a last stretch face.  At some point there was a last day she stopped playing with her toes.  There was a last day she napped on me after nursing.  There was a last day she was willing to eat baby food.  And at some point there was a last newborn cry or grunt.  (Home girl grunted A LOT early on... hence her last night sleeping in our room coming sooner than we originally planned).  But I clearly can't remember all of the "lasts."

So I asked myself, "How do I remember the 'Lasts' from here on out?"  Unfortunately, I can't answer that question.  I go through my days with her, often not thinking to savor all of the things she's doing that day.  There are many days I'm counting down the hours until the weekend, looking ahead to the next milestone Samantha's supposed to meet, or I'm annoyed with something she is doing.  My dad often says we ought not wish away a day, and as cliche as this phrase is, this is something I try to remind myself about regularly.  Perhaps if I spend more time in the moments, I'll be more aware of things passing.  I wish I could rewind time and go back to all of her "lasts" so that I could just breathe them all in!

How do you remember the 'lasts' in your life??

No comments: